Tuesday, December 25, 2012

December daze #24

What is the single most important habit you intend to cultivate in 2013?

Wow! Was this one made just for me?

I know when I move away from my reflection practices and planning processes I feel out of control and not organized. The basis for my organization comes from my training with Stephen Covey's 7 Habits. An explanation of the framing of planning and reflecting in below courtesy of "achieve-goal-setting.com".

So I am going to get back into my weekly reflection practices which I really haven't done much of since 2008. How do I know it's 2008? It was in that October (8) that Maddy, my mother, died and my routine up until then was to write a letter to her and reflect and plan for my week- writing and journaling and putting my "weekly compass" together.

So my habit is going to be put back into place but in a slightly different way (hopefully) using my new art journaling skills and processes.

Being able to set priorities is the key to getting organised and making the most of your time.
But how do you set priorities for your day-to-day tasks and activities as well as specific action items for your goals in order to make sure you’re not letting anything slip through the cracks?
You will have daily priorities such as taking the kids to school, and you should also have daily goal specific actions – these all need to be prioritized into one seamless set of action items to make sure your day-to-day life doesn’t take precedence over your goals and vice versa.
To prioritize day-to-day activities and goal specific Action Items, try any one of the following systems:
Must Do | Should Do | Nice to do
  • Priority 1: Must Do – these goals or activities must be achieved if you are to consider yourself ‘successful’. These are your highest priority goals or activities.
  • Priority 2: Should Do – these goals or activities should be achieved (but it is not essential) to consider yourself ‘successful’.
  • Priority 3: Nice to Do – self explanatory.
You may prefer the commonly used “High | Medium | Low priority” terminology.
Ranking system - where you number all tasks in the order that you need to do them, from 1 being most important (do this one first) to however many action items there are on your list.
Urgent | Important activity matrix Another popular way of prioritising action items is the Urgent | Important activity matrix originally developed by time and organisational management guru Stephen Covey.
This matrix is based on all tasks being assigned a level of ‘urgency’ and ‘importance’ as illustrated below.
Urgent/ Important Priorities Matrix

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...