Thursday, August 13, 2009

How wacky can Wednesday be?

If one is accepting a challenge from Sharyn... pretty Wacky!


Her challenge from Get it Scrapped was worded as follows...
The idea for this challenge came to me on Monday when my sister asked to borrow a chair of ours. It occurred to me, that it was actually my favorite chair and that if I had to start our home over with only one piece of furniture - that chair would be the piece I would keep So my challenge to you is - if you could only keep one piece of furniture - which one would it be, and why?


How am I going to meld this into my "tell you what I've done in my day blogging?" It seemed to me to fit with the household clearing of the family home actually. And so being me I am not going to select one item but have a couple with rationales- I am renowned for my inability to make decisions!

Thinking and looking ... well more glancing really, around the home in Johnson St my thoughts and selection centred on the trunk in the back room. Then I thought would it be considered a piece of furniture- we use it as furniture- it's a coffee table and a place to store things- very little at the moment even though it has been here for ages. Perhaps that's where we can put all dad's letters and Maddy's correspondence- a repository of memories?!
The trunk is lovely- it was Auntie Bess's- my step mother's aunt. When we were clearing out Bess's place (a small flat in the elderly citizen's accommodation) it was there and noone else wanted it so we said we'd take it. At the time it was covered in rather tatty, faded and torn denim.
Michele worked hard on stripping off the denim, sanding back the glue and then clear varnishing the trunk.
It is a lovely addition to the house and has a history we can only guess at. Having begun to write this I have gone off on a google tangent looking at the history of steamer trunks and motoring trunks and trying to find the correct category that our little trunk fits in to.

But I believe that Auntie Bess used it in her travels. I know nothing about her travels in particular other than the huge adventure she had moving from the comfort of her large family in Bacchus Marsh into the Big City of Melbourne.

If a trunk is not regarded as furniture (this is where the more than one piece comes in to it) then I would choose to take the pine bookcase that is in the "bit" outside the kitchen/bathroom. Again it is something that I had nothing to do with the purchase of- does this tell me something about myself? Michele bought the bookcase and I really like the multi-levels of it and the depths and height of the shelves.
But then perhaps it is not mine to take?!
The final piece of furniture in my list of "one piece of furniture" is one that is not here yet and that is an arm chair that actually has no arms so does that make it a seat/chair? The reason it is not here yet is that it is still to be moved from the family home ot here. It is the final piece of the lounge setting that my parents used to have. It is in the back room at Bruce St and has been recovered from when we were children when it was a woven sort of grey/black/white fine checky sort of fabric. There must be a technical name for it but I don't know it. The chair is low enough and wide enough to sit on in a number of ways and from memory may not be too comfortable but when it gets here and I am back here I'll be able to check it out.



One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

2 comments:

Michele said...

I actually had the bookcase made to fit tall books hence it's varied shelves. The trunk and sofa? definitely keepers!

Barb said...

Oh Celia. You and me both. I hate making decisions. Every other night it is my night to decide on what we call supper...dinner to most. I hate that night. I really don't care what we have or where we get it. I am more concerned that I will pick something that does not sound good to DH. However, that could never be the case...he never cares or would tell me if it did. But still...please don't ask me!! LOL

Love your choices in what you would keep. How difficult it would be to choose just one thing. I will have to give this some thought, also!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...