Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A techno-logical Tuesday

Tami has given us some really good challenges but this one was an interesting and so supported one.

And remember, no matter where you go, there you are. Confucius

And not only did she provide this great guide but also a prompt of what to ponder if you wanted to...

What do you say you'd like to do, but know you probably never could? Think of things like joking about laying in bed all day, or calling a corporate office on a rude employee, or leaving a bad waitress a penny. Things that sound good, but you know you'd never literally do.

The examples Tami gave I probably have done in the last few weeks- well perhaps not stayed in bed all day but yep left a very small tip for poor waitressing on Monday night but then the salary of wait staff in Australia is structured such that you only tip if you get good service. In fact at dinner on Monday people were talking about tipping and the usual smart remarks were being given when someone asked will you give a tip?" replies came from different parts of our group "Use tea tree oil to remove marks on mirrors" or words to that effect. Tipping is quite foreign to our way of doing things.
Tipping and the expectation of tipping is a culture that we don't have so that it was a shock when first in NYC to try to work out what and when you tip- tipping the hairdresser and anyone who came within cooee of you was and still is seen by me as being ludicrous- especially given the amount one has to pay to get even the smallest thing done to one's hair.

I just recalled a conversation I had with a car service driver about tipping- he was taking me to a school somewhere in Brooklyn and our conversation was about sales tax ( that's a whole other area) and I was saying that our GST is built into the price on the label not an added percentage you discover at the checkout! He said but how do you know how much to tip if you don't know what the sales tax is.
I said we don't tip in the same way because our workers are paid a better salary because of the work of our unions yada yada yada. He was then worried that I wouldn't tip him!



The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing And so to my Tuesday which consisted of finding myself where I was!
I spent part of the day struggling with the rock- my new name (as of this moment) for getting the washing done
And in this place...

Reading and napping and then eventually manaaged to get some more art journaling done. Have yet to photograph and post any of it.

It was a wise sister who suggested I have a day of slowing down- what a wise and good sister!

However....
Never let an angry sister brush your hair

1 comment:

Barb said...

Please do NOT get me started on tipping!!! I am not a happy tipper although I do tip. And I refuse to tip on the total including tax. That, in my area,at least, is an added 7% which has already been added to the bill!! Ugh! Can't go there. I get too worked up!! LOL

I agree with sis...slow down girl!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...