Sunday, August 9, 2009

Oh Eight! Snapshot Saturday

The blog challenge for today other than catching up on the blog challenges for the days!? was set out again by Katrina as:
This week we are looking back!
You can call it looking back, this day in history, one year ago today, or whatever you'd like. Simply look through your photos. Find one on the same day a year or two (or more!) ago and post it. The story of the photo is always a great touch too.

I was thinking "give me a break Katrina- I'm on my laptop most of my photos are on my computer in NYC... " Then I looked at my laptop photos thinking hmmm I am usually here with my laptop in August so perhaps .... lo and behold.... Urquarts Bluff on the Great Ocean Road between Aireys Inlet and Anglesea

I actually remember taking this shot- I stopped on purpose at different points on my way back to Melbourne from Aireys Inlet. It was my plan to travel back slowly so that I could take photos and then head to Maddy's house to take her to the hospital on the Monday morning. This is one of the views that greet you as you drive back to Anglesea/ Melbourne.

One time Michele and I decided to take Spencer there for a walk. Big mistake! We usually have him off the lead at Aireys beach where he roams , runs and generally cavorts alternatively in the waves and along the edge of the bottom of the cliff face occasionally venturing up the stairs at the end of the beach. Urquarts Bluff is at the end of the beach and we were walking along this lovely stretch of sand,to one side of us waves were lapping the sand and the other side grassland swaying in the breeze on the slight hill up to the major road.

Serenity shattered as Spencer sniffs and explores not the lovely beach area but the hill... in particular the top of the hill near the road. He has little or no road sense just great sniffing sense so we had to fly after him trying to get him back down on the beach near us.

Heart stopping moments and we were back walking along the shoreline giving Spencer strict instructions (we'd left the lead in the car such was our confidence/stupidity) to stay near us so he spent part of the rest of the time chasing rocks we threw for him but then we gave up on that when he crunched one of the rocks and stood pretending there was nothing in his mouth while we tried to get that bit of rock out eventually we stopped as he gave one big gulp and swallowed the bit of sandy rock!

The remaining part of the "stroll" back to the car he spent running along being called back and doing a circle of us- it became a game for him so that the pattern of our footsteps along the beach, had an outer pattern of spiraling doggy footprints.

Each time we pass this stretch of beach part of the walk flashes to my mind.

2 comments:

Barb said...

LOL That picture did just what it was supposed to do...stirred up lots of memories for you! So glad you had one available for you to use! It sure is pretty there. So peaceful! TFS!

Linda said...

I love love love your stories. I feel like I am right there enjoying the beauty of the water, sand and the frolicking dog.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...