Saturday, August 8, 2009

Finding Fun Fridays

And so to the challenge for Friday from of Jane...

Whether a happy memory, amusing story or fondly remembered object, your challenge today is to tell us about that “something” in your childhood that makes you smile every time you think about it. Bonus points if you have a photo to go along with your story.
This certainly is a challenge! Especially the photo part... what to do because I want my blog to reflect and tell about things now and in the past. My day was spent with the crew of Aussies going to the Black Saturday bushfire area in Kinglake visiting the schools to find out from them what they would like to do with the funds we raised back in March this year- so finding fun in all that that reflects back on my childhood was becoming a bit of a stretch. However another place and time to write about the visit to the schools I think.

After our day long tour in and out of cars and battling the cold and hail we ended up back in Carlton for dinner and talking then on to see Yvette Johansen (again at Bennetts Lane Jazz Club).

My thoughts sort of roamed then to a music (my link between the day and the challenge) event in childhood that always makes me smile to think about was my memory of our first record. Dad brought home a wind up record player (it played 78's) and we each had a record of our own or at least a side of a record of our own. My side was a song ... yep only one tune per side.... was "My Pony Whipstick"- I have yet to find it listed as a credit to any singer let alone on a CD/ record or on iTunes. The wondrous lyrics went as follows
They sing about horses of ro-de-oh fame
And only the bomshell
And Whipstick's his name
Threw every rider so far and so high
Should have been charged for using the sky.
There's
....yada yada yada.... (memory a problem here)
If you'd only stick
ten seconds upon him my pony Whipstick

I must have been about 4 or 5 when dad brought this treasure home for us/me.

Well now I have just done a google search and found that it is on an album called Hillbilly Song Album 11 and sung by Dusty Rankin and Slim Dusty! And then looking on the list created I found the song that was on the flip side.... My Happy Valley Home..

Gosh thanks Jane I am really smiling now!

3 comments:

Jane said...

I'm so glad this helped bring back a happy memory.

Anke said...

It's so funny how things can work on our memories sometimes! at times it can be a smell or like here a song! sounds like you are one busy lady, you are always traveling somewhere. Have a wonderful time

Barb said...

This is just great! Love what this is pulling from you! Isn't if fun? I love thinking about the old times! (I have always heard that is what happens when one gets up in the years!! LOL)

Isn't memories one of the best things God has given us? We need to use them more often!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...