Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Daze Twenty First December

I am really good at goal setting and planning and reviewing things but this day's prompt from reverb10 just doesn't do it for me.

Future self. 
Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)

 My favourite holiday things section
Favourite holiday drink? Now this is more the thing! When I am at home in Australia for Christmas the tradition has been that we would go to my mum's place for lunch or dinner depending on whether my brother and has family were going to his mother in law's place for lunch or dinner. Does that make sense? Anyway on Boxing Day the day after Christmas it is also a public holiday and I used to go to my friend Fran's. It all started when she was so busy in the lead up to Christmas in the year her first set of twins were born (yep she has two sets) and I am their godmother. In this particular year we just couldn't coordinate to meet up and exchange gifts before Christmas so I went to her place which happened to be in the suburbs and an easy drive on the freeway. That year she gave me a cocktail shaker- the view being that as a single fancy free woman I'd be able to entertain and make cocktails I guess. However she also made sure she had the "doings" to make Brandy Alexanders and so the grand tradition of Brandy Alexanders on Boxing Day began. The twins are now 26 so it could be termed a long standing tradition and she moved to the country so it also became a longer drive. And so when we have our (inaugural) Boxing Day Video Binge day this year I have all the doings for Brandy Alexanders.

No my favourite holiday past is more difficult to do but my favourite NYC story about a "holiday" is from a few years ago. It was March and I was in a middle school classroom. An African American Student said to his friend -I'm not coming to school next Monday.
Friend (to me) Is next Monday a holiday?
Me- It is holiday but not a day off school
Student-  Yeah but I'm Jewish!
Me - That's wonderful but St Partick's Day is not actually a Jewish celebration.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Marie said...

The last bit about St. Patrick's Day has me laughing madly. Middle school kids are magic.

The brandy Alexander tradition sounds like great fun.

Barb said...

What a great traditions, Celia!! Those kinds of traditions are the ones that are really the most fun. They start for no reason!! I used to love Apricot Brandy Alexanders. Don't drink anymore but wow, I sure remember them!!

That classroom situation was a riot!! Did you keep a straight face? I would have split a seam!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...